People are beyond judgmental and rude no matter where you go. People will look at you funny, at least one person will say something about you to the friend they’re with, people will think you’re weird and some people just don’t have a filter.
When I first meet people they usually think I’m three things.
1. Shy- because I don’t talk that much. I’m usually in the back of the classroom reading a book (I have branched out more and I couldn’t be happier about that). I also don’t want to say anything stupid and embarrass myself right off the bat.
2. Smart- I guess this is because I “look” smart (That’s what I’ve been told) and tend to focus on my studies over hanging out with friends, especially if it’s a big assignment. What people don’t know is that I work my butt off to get a B. It’s a struggle.
3. Weird- I am a weird person but you can’t judge a book by its cover. People think I’m weird because I would rather read a book than go out every Friday night. Or I would rather hang out with my family. I just have different priorities than other people.
That’s what people think of me when I first meet them. I met this guy and he knew a girl I went to high school with and when he told her that he was hanging out with me her first words were, “Why? She’s weird.” What does that even mean? It shouldn’t have bothered me but it did because she knew nothing about me. We simply passed each other in the halls between classes without even glancing at each other. We never even said a word to each other.
Now, my real friends would describe me as:
1. Outgoing- I love to travel and go to every concert I can afford. I love hanging out with my friends and going on late night drives with them. I like the rush of hiking and seeing the view at the very top. Singing at the top of my lungs in the car with my friends and learning dances at work with some of my co-workers. Doing fun, random things is a blast to me.
2. Caring- I probably have the biggest heart. I adore my family more than anything. I may not act like it sometimes but I don’t know what I would do without them. I have lunch with my grandparents at least once a week, text my cousin and brother at least once a week just to check up on them and see how they’re doing, I visit my other grandparents at least once a week and no matter how busy and chaotic my life gets I always set aside time to hang out with my parents. People think it’s weird how close my mom and I are but I don’t see how it’s weird when no matter what I always have a best friend to look up to. Family is my number one priority.
3. Hard worker – I don’t give up easily. I push to get my grades and force myself to learn something if I’m not doing well in a class. I’m taking 18 credit hours and have a part-time job on the side. I don’t get much free time and when I do I prefer to spend it with my friends and family. I try to balance everything out to where I can keep up my grades, still have a part-time job and fit in time with my friends and family. It’s hard work but it’s worth it.
Before you judge people, take a step back and realize that they could be the complete opposite of what you’re assuming. They could end up being one of your best friends.
What do people think of you when they first meet you? Are you the complete opposite?